Re: free list

From: Brent <bpathakis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2003 10:42:54 -0800

manisiva2002 <member25406_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<2570774.1046148902_at_dbforums.com>...
> Dear viewer's,
>
> Can anyone explain the concepts of Free List and their practical
> importance and their useage. Whats the role of Oracle DBA's in
> configuring the free list and the method it is done.
>
> Thank you
> MANI PS
Hi Mani,

  Just a quick overview. Freelists manage the space in a table below the high water mark (the last point at a which a table contained data.)

  You would want to configure multiple freelists if you multiple concurrent inserts on a table. Otherwise, those multiple inserts would be contending for a single resource (a single freelist).

  My guess is the freelists will become less important in the future... as of 9i, much of this can be automated with auto space management. Received on Tue Feb 25 2003 - 12:42:54 CST