Re: improving performance in a decision support database

From: Sebastiano Pilla <etechweb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:49:17 +0100

Ray Porter <ray_porter_at_unc.edu> wrote:

> users are running large ad hoc queries. We are finding that performance
> over all is slower than with the Sybase version -- significantly slower in
> some places. The database structure remained essentially the same with the
> exception that DM required us to only give the users access to views to the
> base tables. We also used stored procedures to retrieve datasets from the

I'm afraid that keeping the same database design and structure is exactly the problem... It's possible that your application, originally developed on Sybase, depends on some assumptions that simply are invalid when the same (or close) code runs against Oracle.

Unfortunately Oracle does not have a 'fast = true' setting, as pointed out by many regulars of this group. This mirrors my experience, when confronted with a slow application my first reaction to improve its performance was to search for some mystical combination of Oracle parameters; now instead I first look for tuning opportunities in the application itself.

Sebastiano Pilla Received on Sun Feb 23 2003 - 14:49:17 CST