Re: Running Oracle PL/SQL Web Applications on BAE WebLogic App Server

From: Sebastiano Pilla <etechweb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:49:18 +0100

tjpultz <tjpultz_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does anybody know how to do this or if it can even be done. I work in
> an area that has been developing Oracle PL/SQL web apps running with
> the Oracle App Server V. 4.0.8. We would like to update our database
> and appserver to 9i but the bureaucrats in IT standards decided that
> the only company approved appserver would be BAE WebLogic. Is it
> possible to call Oracle stored procedures thru Weblogic instead of
> using Oracles application server with the PL/SQL cartridge to handle
> all PL/SQL web requests?

Yes, it is possible (though you're in for a huge rewrite of your application, if you ask me). WebLogic can communicate with an Oracle database via JDBC, so calling an Oracle stored procedure via JDBC is only a matter of setting up a CallableStatement, binding the parameters, executing the statement and retrieving the result. While this method is not limited to the Oracle-WebLogic combination, is well documented on the Oracle JDBC documentation available from OTN.

If you want more examples, try looking in the comp.lang.java.databases newsgroup, at least one knowledgeable BEA employee is posting frequently.

Sebastiano Pilla Received on Sun Feb 23 2003 - 14:49:18 CST