Re: TO_CHAR PROBLEMS WITH FORMATING DATE INVALID NUMBER

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2003 18:43:54 +1100

 Kev> Hi I wonder if anyone can help

 Kev> I am trying to format a date using to_char

 Kev> When I use sysdate to char works no problem.

 Kev> select to_char(sysdate,'MM/DD/YY') from dual;

 Kev> However when I cut and paste the date from the result of (select
 Kev> sysdate from dual) and then put that into the statement below I
 Kev> get an 'Invalid Number' error message.

 Kev> select to_char('18-FEB-2003 09:40:49','MM/DD/YY') from dual;

 Kev> Any ideas?

Yes, you are using a string representation of a date when to_char() is expecting an oracle date object.

What are you expecting/wanting with a line like that?

Are you wanting to convert a string date into another string date? If so, perhaps

select to_char(to_date('18-FEB-2003 09:40:49', 'DD-MON-YYYY HH24:MI:SS'), 'MM/DD/YY') from dual;

will do what you want.

Tim

--
Tim Cross