Re: Forcing tnsname.ora path

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:01:15 -0600

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:56:48 -0000, "Andrew Hardy" <spam.from.news_at_AdvanticaTech.com> wrote:

><mdeglin_at_partner.auchan.fr> wrote in message
>
>>I know the tnsname.ora path could be forced when modifying the registry
>.... but I don't know what is the exact modification !
>>Can anybody help me ?
>
>Easiest way is to have a TNS_ADMIN in your environment settings (set to the
>directory containing your tnsnames.ora), no messing about with the registry.
>
>Andy

Conversly, one could say 'Easiest way is to have TNS_ADMIN (set to the directory containing your tnsnames.ora) in your registry (HKLM\software\oracle), no messing arbout with the environment settings.

I don't know what the pros and cons are of using the environment setting vs. the registry in this case. But I don't see it as an ease of use issue, as implied by 'no messing about with . . .'

In the one case, I open a windows tool and type in 'tns_admin=c:\oracle\network\admin' (or whatever the path is). In the other case, I open a windows tool and type in 'tns_admin=c:\oracle\network\admin' (or whatever the path is).

Comment not meant as a flame, just an observation. Received on Tue Feb 18 2003 - 08:01:15 CST