Re: Forcing tnsname.ora path

From: Andrew Hardy <spam.from.news_at_AdvanticaTech.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:11:35 -0000

Ed,

"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:4pe45v45h33b0bjhnk4s6kluso8rs35fu4_at_4ax.com...
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:56:48 -0000, "Andrew Hardy"
> <spam.from.news_at_AdvanticaTech.com> wrote:
>
> ><mdeglin_at_partner.auchan.fr> wrote in message
> >
> >>I know the tnsname.ora path could be forced when modifying the registry
> >.... but I don't know what is the exact modification !
> >>Can anybody help me ?
> >
> >Easiest way is to have a TNS_ADMIN in your environment settings (set to
the
> >directory containing your tnsnames.ora), no messing about with the
registry.

> >Andy
> >

> Conversly, one could say 'Easiest way is to have TNS_ADMIN (set to the
> directory containing your tnsnames.ora) in your registry
> (HKLM\software\oracle), no messing arbout with the environment
> settings.
>
> I don't know what the pros and cons are of using the environment
> setting vs. the registry in this case. But I don't see it as an ease
> of use issue, as implied by 'no messing about with . . .'

> Comment not meant as a flame, just an observation.

Understood!

I think that the general public are a little wary of editing in the registry and are warned away from it by Microsoft and other software providers - it is pretty easy to kill your system.

In my case, the company policy is to lock the registry editing tools away from the users.

Andy Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 03:11:35 CST