Re: Intel vs Sparc

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:53:03 GMT

timx_at_spamto.devnul.com said...
> I dislike MS because I
> think its a poor operating system (I still can't believe most users
> think crashes and the blue screen of death is normal operating
> procedure when working with computers!)
>
> Tim

Do Windows system crashes really happen all that often? True, I have to reboot our W2k server every time I apply a security patch ... but it doesn't seem to be all that flakey.

Do people really still see the "blue screen of death" all that often? I keep hearing this mentioned as one of the weak points of MS Windows. The last time I saw one was years and years ago, and then only because I installed some Symantec software (haven't had it again since I removed Norton).

Maybe I'm one of the most fortunate people on the planet ... but I haven't had all the problems with Windows that people always complain about. When I go to the computer store and see as much shelf space dedicated to any other O/S, maybe I'll consider switching. But I'm also not willing to give up our Solaris boxes where our production and test databases live.

--
/Karsten