Re: Oracle 9i on W2K laptop 512M RAM (min config)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:49:10 -0800

Andrew wrote:

> Hi,
> I am about to install Oracle 9i on my W2K laptop (P4, 512M RAM, 5GB
> free space). Required RAM in install guide is 1GB. I need Oracle only
> for some tests and also client part is needed as well as ODBC. Does it
> worth trying to install Oracle 9i on my laptop and what is the minimal
> recommended configuration for DB server in this case?
>
> Thanks!

Running Oracle 9i (9.2.0) on an IBM ThinkPad PIII 500MHz with 512MB RAM. It isn't exactly a 16 CPU UNIX box but it is fast enough for any development work. Within that 512MB RAM I can also run SQL Navigator or Oracle Forms without a problem.

So you are on very solid ground. My only caution would be that after installation you edit the init.ora and modify your various memory pools to fit well within Oracle's recommended sizes based on the amount of RAM. And if you aren't using Java drop the Java pool to the recommended minimum size. Then recreate the spfile and restart Oracle. You should be fine.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 10:49:10 CST