Re: Intel vs Sparc

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2003 23:48:36 -0800

Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com> wrote in message news:<87y94rsbpt.fsf_at_tiger.rapttech.com.au>...
> The area where Linux is going to do well is in the server/backend
> market. Apart from Oracle, companies like IBM are putting a lot of
> work into this area. In fact, this morning I saw an article from IBM
> about how IBM was using Linux with DB2 to provide match stats, scores
> etc for Wimbledon.

Linux is doing "Ok" at this time... it may do pretty good in the future, but it still has to compete with Sun and HP in the high end enterprise system market and low to medium end WinNT/2K/XP server market. It would be hard at this time to convince the large companies to migrate from industry proven Sun and HP to Linux. I think Linux has a good shot in penetrating the low to medium end market and challenge WinNT/2K/XP. On technology... Linux may be better then M$ but one advantage that M$ has is that it is cheaper and easier to run and maintain. M$ System admins on average can administer a system with less training then e.g. Unix admins, and generally command less salary. However, if you look at total cost of operation (License fees and all), Linux may come out ahead.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Sat Feb 08 2003 - 01:48:36 CST