Re: OEM Table Editor discrepancies

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 07:17:33 -0800

Paul Murphy wrote:

> Here's an interesting one...
>
> I have a missing row when I use the Table Editor in Enterprise Manager
> (Oracle 9i Release 2, Windows 2000). I have a small table with 60 rows (the
> novels and short stories of Sherlock Holmes). When I run a select count(*)
> from sherlock or a simple select * from sherlock in SQL*Plus...It reports
> all 60 rows. When I do an export and an import it exports and imports all 60
> rows. When I do a select dump(field), dump(field) from sherlock, the missing
> row looks like any other row. The are only letters A-Z, a-z, and integers
> 0-9 in the columns, no special characters whatsoever...but when I View/Edit
> Contents to get the OEM Table Editor open, it shows only 59 of the 60 rows,
> the last row physically entered into the table being missing.
>
> Also, I notice that the sorting is different in Table Editor vs. SQL*Plus.
> The table editor does not sort by ASCII # so the capitals are different from
> the lowercase, like SQL*Plus does. Any thoughts on this one?
>
> Thanks! -Paul Murphy

Can't help you with the missing row issue ... might be a bug but others can address that.

However you seem to somehow expect Oracle to sort rows ... and it never ever will unless you explicitly use the ORDER BY clause and specify an order. Otherwise ... basic Oracle tables are heap tables ... and the data is, by definition, unordered and any tool retrieving it can retrieve it any way it wishes.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sat Jan 25 2003 - 09:17:33 CST