Re: 9iAS security?

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:03:24 GMT

Comments embedded.
Stephan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We want to setup:
> 2 W2000 machines: 1 with 9iAS and 1 with Oracle 9i database
> Both behind firewall.
>
> Can someone point me to the right direction?:
> - on the database: the listener.ora --> I only need simple access to the
> database, so I can delete the EXTERNAL_PROCEDURE part?
Yes, you can delete (or comment out) that part.

> - on the database: sqlnet.ora --> can I filter on IP --> to allow only the
> 9iAS machine to connect (on port 1521?)
Well, sqlnet.ora is a client-side parameter file. What you want is a server-side parameter file or feature instead. The only server-side network parameter file is listener.ora. What you are describing is normally setup in the firewall, not the database.

> - on the 9iAS --> how to secure this machine? We want to run Forms
> Server/Reports Server and JSP.

How to secure each of the tiers? Well now, that's the subject of many books and manuals. Much more than a simple NG answer. A while back, I posted the URL of a white paper: Database Security in Oracle 8i, which contains info about securing multiple tiers:

http://technet.oracle.com/deploy/security/pdf/oow99/dbswp86.pdf

You can also find a vendor paper: Hackproofing Oracle9iAS at:

http://www.ngssoftware.com

There are zillions of resources, including Oracle manuals on security. You can find a searchable set of online manuals at:

http://tahiti.oracle.com

Do a Google search and you'll get more hits than you can wade thru.