Re: SQL SERVER vs ORACLE

From: Andy <andy.spaven_at_eps-hq.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:32:21 -0000

Daniel

<snip>

> I agree with your basic point but one thing I find fascinating is any
developer
> or DBA giving a rip about the cost.

Unless that DBA has to write a justification for why a customer should pay for Oracle rather than use the free (not quite) MySQL for running their ATM system :-)

> When was the last time anyone here actually paid a dollar from their own
pocket
> to license any RDBMS software?
>
> And please don't tell me that your employer, be it a Boeing, an AT&T, a
> Siemens, a Phillips, or whatever is going to notice a few hundred thousand
> dollars one way or the other when they are flushing hundreds of millions
or
> billions, down the rat hole of unproductive workers and executive perqs.
And
> the difference between Oracle and other RDBMSs is not going to be anything
> close to a few hundred thousand dollars. And management really doesn't
care.

You'd be suprised at how many big organistations I've been involved with want mission critical systems to run on zero cost (up front at least) installations. MySQL on Linux anyone ? The bean counters really need to understand costs better (as you next point shows). Getting some of them to believe the figures can be like getting blood from a stone (and a very hard stone at that).