Re: Oracle Label Security

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:04:18 GMT

karthik wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> According to my understanding oracle label security is pplicable for
> only database user.But our requirement states that we have to
> implement for application user .
>
> 1.Whether it is possible?
>
> If possible then
>
> 1.How to assign the policy against the application user.
> 2.How to pass the application user name to database.
> 3.How to assign the oracle defined label against the application user.
> 4.Suppose if we use oracle policy manager for creating the policy and
> defining the label.Whether policy and labels defined by the policy
> manager can be access to application user.
>
> Please help me in above problem
>
> Rgrds
> karthi

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but check out:

http://technet.oracle.com/deploy/security/pdf/oow99/dbswp86.pdf

On p5, you'll see a section titled: Authentication Through a Middle Tier.

<quote>
In applications which use a heavy middle tier, such as a transaction processing monitor, it is important to be able to preserve the identity of the client connecting to the middle tier. </quote>

This technique passes the client userid thru the middle tier, even if the middle tier uses connection pooling. Received on Wed Jan 15 2003 - 18:04:18 CST