Re: What exactly are buffers

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:15:48 GMT

cache. Data is read from the disk into a free buffer block (cache in ram). Then it is sent to the client as requested. Oracle uses a LRU algorithium to determine what gets aged out of the cache for new items. The idea is to cache recently or frequently assessed data so it does not have to go to disk to do it. It makes it faster.(ram read is faster than disk io) Jim