Re: Oracle on Win2K vs. HP/UX

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:43:45 GMT

You missed the point Billy. It would be less likely to happen on Windoze because the machines don't stay up for years without requiring a reboot, if for nothing else to patch security holes. We are talking years, people had left in the meantime, and not due to layoffs. While it is true that they should have, and do now, better administrative procedures HPUX and most other Unix systems are highly stable. One cause is that since you used to pay a lot for them (less now) if it went down the customer held the vendor's feet to the fire as to why the system was down. Since the customer paid quite a bit for it, they spoke loud. In the Windoze world no CEO or CIO calls up some high level person at MS and demands to know why their Windoze box blue screened. MS would never let the person talk to anyone beyond first level support. MS's expectations regarding stability are much different from HP's or Sun's expectations about the reliability and uptime of their machines. A Windoze server has its roots in a personal computer, where it was acceptable to have to reboot at least daily. That attitude has changed somewhat over the years, but not sufficiently to have as good an uptime (in general) and stability as a more robust and efficient OS.

Jim

--
Replace part of the email address: kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com
with family.  Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign.  You can figure