Re: Oracle on Win2K vs. HP/UX

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 08:13:56 -0800

Sean wrote:

> Does anyone know of whitepaper(s) addressing the advantages of running
> Oracle Server in the Unix environment vs. Windows?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sean Johnson

I personally own the following hardware:

Win2K running on Intel architecture
XP running on Intel architecture
HP9000 running HP-UX 11.0
Sun Ultra running Solaris 2.8

My observations are:

  1. Both UNIX environments are more stable than either Windows environments running with latest patches
  2. You can get 64bit Oracle for UNIX. Windows is still crippled at 32bit.
  3. vi isn't Notepad ... if you don't know UNIX and don't have a good SysAdmin available stick with Windows

Experience at Boeing, AT&T, etc. has always demonstrated the superiority of UNIX over windows for the three S's ... security, stability, and scalability.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Jan 08 2003 - 10:13:56 CST