Re: Presentation = http://admin

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:58:26 +0300

> > Does anybody know if having "Presentation=http://admin" in
> > tnsnames.ora is likely to cause problems for applications NOT using
> > OSE.
> It is likely to become a security hole. Remove if not used.
> Same for EXTPROC.

Agreed - to the extent. :) EXTPROC is particularly dangerous when used with TCP as the communication prototol. When used with IPC it's only dangerous if someone gains access to the machine as this potentially allows the attacker to use extproc via IPC to execute things with oracle's permissions. No remote exploit is possible though. Presentation http:// on the contrary is remotely expoitable (again, with certain complications: OSE listens on non-standard port, which is usually blocked at the firewall, so the attacker should be on LAN; OSE runs inside Oracle's built-in JVM and as such is not particularly helpful in compromising the server or gaining immediate access to the data in the database - but it may allow attacker to plant a rogue servlet or a JSP into OSE, which could then be used to access sensitive data or execute OS commands under oracle account, though this last exploit will require the attacker to modify Java2 security policies as well...) All in all, OSE doesn't look like a promising target to me. :)