Re: Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 21:10:08 GMT

George wrote:

> Sorry to inform you but the only system in our facility with any Oracle
> access did NOT have the docs installed. As far as the 'I dont have time'
> excuse, I guess you work in an environment where you can just get up, go to
> a book store, spend the day reading and come back just in time to do the
> whole project. You must have missed the key point to my dilema. I had about
> 6 hours do get this done. No warning, no prep, no resources, no manuals, no
> web access and no experience with Oracle.
>
> I turned to the only place I could for help and that help was for the most
> part not very helpful. Tell me, what would you do in my situation?

And in an earlier post your gave this datail on your situation:

> I didn't mean to cause a stink here. I was sitting in my office and was told
> I had to get data from our Oracle based ERP system 2200 miles away into my
> SQL Server by days end. I have no manuals and our firewall blocks port 80
> (and getting that open would take an act of congress). So searching for
> help on the web is out. I do not have time to take classes or read books. I
> DO have usenet access so I used it. In doing so I chose the least
> restrictive group I could find - comp.databases.oracle.misc
>
> In all my years utililizing the SQL server groups, never have I seen so many
> 'professionals' tell a person to take a class or read a book. In fact, the
> response that Vladimir left below is what I am used to. I realize full well
> that you do this because you want to not becasue you have to. Once again,
> you could simply have chosen to neglect the post completely.

You get an unreasonable (IMHO) request from your boss and then get mad at us. You have enough time to complain but not enough to find the ORACLE manuals that are online. If you can't get them from work because of poor management choices about firewall settings, then tell your boss you are going to research the problem from home and just get it done. We are not the root cause of your problems.

And you could have not bothered complaining about our response as well. We are generally nice folks here. Hope you get everything done and have a nice day.

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.