Re: Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers

From: SoulSurvivor <markyg_7_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 6 Jan 2003 06:49:21 -0800

I have read this thread with interest, looking at the differing viewpoints of all.

Not all of us Oracle guys are aggressive on this NG. I've been scanning the 3 main sets of the oracle newsgroups since i first started in 1996 (blimey time FLIES!!) under different NG aliases and it does seem that responses nowadays are more 'arrogant' than a few years back.

On the whole, most the flames occur when the original poster does not take the effort to read manuals or is trying to get their homework done. Only after reading near the end of the thread did we learn your situation (no manuals, net access and short deadline etc)

POSTERS: Try and do some research into your problem, RTFM before comming here. And remember http://metalink.oracle.com is awesome and 80% of the time will solve your problem.

REPLY-ERS: Calm down! Try to encourage folks to resources where they can learn more about problems and how they can help themselves, its annoying wading through posts of arguments and cusses. In the same way that we are not paid to participate on newsgroups, thus not wasting time to solve problems which are in user manuals, we shouldnt waste that same time writing a paragraph of text to slate someone. You'll give this NG a bad name (probably is already getting one). And if you dont like something, skip it and move on.

My TPW :-)

Happy 2003!