Re: Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 09:13:17 -0800

George wrote:

> I didn't realize you Oracle guys were so aggressive in your responses. If
> you don't want to help, just don't. I would rather not have a post responded
> to then get your pompus attitude. Thank you (and Ed ) for your help
> thusfar. I will make sure to not post here for help in the future.
>
> I'm sorry I missed the post declaring that usenet was suddenly for experts
> only.
>
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > George wrote:
> >
> > > Wonderful! Thanks
> > >
> > > Now this opens a whole new can of worms for me.
> > >
> > > The first one to come to mind is the select * statement. I am assuming
> that
> > > this can be a lengthy operation if the table has many fields and
> modifying
> > > the table later would rise cause to modify all procedures that contain a
> > > select * from the modified table.
> > >
> > > Also how then does the procedure return records to the client, or does
> it
> > > not? I then surmize that using procedures to return records to the
> client is
> > > might not be the prefered method but rather a view?
> > >
> > > "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

> > > invalid.

> > We don't run an Oracle tutorial service here on the usenet. You need to go
> > your local bookstore or take a class.
> >
> > Ed gave you a good answer for returning multiple rows inside a procedure
> but
> > not necessarily for returning them to a front-end program. You need to use
> > http://tahiti.oracle.com to look up your questions before coming here for
> tips
> > when you get stuck. To get you started on this one look up "REF CURSOR".
> >
> > Daniel Morgan

Bert, Ed, Rauf, et al. have all made the point. We donate our time. And we do so because we enjoy helping people. But helping does not mean doing other people's work for them it means providing guidance when people get stuck.

Demonstrate that you have made some effort on your own behalf and you will find people happy to help. Just follow up one question with another and lead people to think that you couldn't be bothered trying and you will get 'attitude'.

I both consult and teach. And enjoy teaching more than anything else I get paid for. The fact that I get great pleasure from teaching does not mean I don't expect my students to work hard: And they do. Same thing here.

Dan Morgan Received on Sat Jan 04 2003 - 11:13:17 CST