Re: Causes of ORA-03113

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Dec 2002 12:45:09 -0800

> "Simon" <ssdimuan_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm developing a PL/SQL program that for some reason has started to
> > cause ORA-03113 errors all the time - what I mean is, I execute the
> > stored procedure from the SQL*Plus prompt, and it starts running, but
> > - it never finishes. After a couple minutes, it stops, and I have the
> > ORA-03113 error - as if something in my code actually "broke" the
> > database connection. Most strange. So I'm just wondering if any of
> > you experienced Oracle ninjas out there are aware of some common
> > mistakes that can cause such an error, because I'm having a hard time
> > figuring it out from looking at my code. I think I know what
> > procedure it's in when the error occurs, but I can't really tell what
> > line is doing it. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Simon Dimuantes

This particular error could mean a lot of things... as mentioned in the above posts. Having said that, I would question the way you are trying to identify your problem.

One of the major steps of programming 101 is being able to debug your or someone else's code. If you cannot successfully debug and identify bad code... then you are missing a lot. Almost every programming language has some way to debug code. PLSQL is somewhat tricky as it is a server side language and debugging it is cumbersome. However, tools like PLSQL developer has a very good debugger....Or do it the old fashioned way by putting bunch of dbms_output.put_line statements in your code.

Once you have identified the culprit code...then go from there. Either,
1) Try to resolve it yourself if you can, 2) Post the culprit code here (With Oracle version and platform) so someone may be able to provide an answer OR, 3) Search Oracle metalink for any known issues/bugs.

I don't mean to question your programming skills but I would follow the above steps to correctly identify the problem.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Dec 25 2002 - 14:45:09 CST