Compact SYSTEM tablespace?

From: Benjamin Johnston <superhero_at_benjaminjohnston.com.au>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 16:32:00 +1000

Hello,

I used Oracle for some rather large data processing, but did so in the SYSTEM tablespace instead of creating a new tablespace. I now realize my error.

Unfortunately, now that I have dropped the large amount of data involved, I cannot shrink the tablespace down to a reasonable size again (it seems that some other data has been written to a position late in the file). While I can live with the wasted space... the machine isn't dedicated to the DBMS, so I'd like to reclaim as much disk space as I can if it is at all possible.

The Oracle documentation indicates that I need to take a tablespace offline to compact it... but, that didn't sound like a good idea when it comes to the SYSTEM tablespace.

So, is it possible to compact the SYSTEM tablespace, without doing anything too dramatic?

Thanks for any assistance,

-Benjamin Johnston Received on Sat Dec 21 2002 - 00:32:00 CST