extended ASCII seems not to exist for some clients

From: Christian BIERO <cbiero_no_spam_at_gold-solutions.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:36:47 +0100

Hello,

I've got the following problem.
I've got a script to insert data into some table. This script contains some accents.
The target database has the following DATABASE params (cf select below) According to the charset : WE8ISO8859P15, the DB supports accents like 'é' or 'à'.

The script, when ran from client like PL-SQLDEV or sqlplus for windows, inserts the data well.
But when the same script is ran using sqlplus DOS or directly using sqlplus on the server, the accent caracteres are replaced with bad value (I first think of their current ASCII code minus 128 but its not the case)

the same way select CHR(233)||' é' from dual; gives me :
- 'e i' using sqlplus under the server via telnet

Currently I'm unable to run my script anywhere else than a windows client.

Any help would be appreciated.

Christian

SQL> SELECT * FROM NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS;
PARAMETER                      VALUE
------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
NLS_LANGUAGE                   AMERICAN
NLS_TERRITORY                  AMERICA
NLS_CURRENCY                   $
NLS_ISO_CURRENCY               AMERICA
NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS         .,
NLS_CHARACTERSET               WE8ISO8859P15
NLS_CALENDAR                   GREGORIAN
NLS_DATE_FORMAT                DD-MON-RR
NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE              AMERICAN
NLS_SORT                       BINARY
NLS_TIME_FORMAT                HH.MI.SSXFF AM
NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT           DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM
NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT             HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZH:TZM
NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT        DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZH:TZM
NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY              $
NLS_COMP                       BINARY
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET         WE8ISO8859P15
NLS_RDBMS_VERSION              8.1.7.3.0

SELECT * FROM NLS_SESSION_PARAMETERS;

PARAMETER                      VALUE
NLS_LANGUAGE                   AMERICAN
NLS_TERRITORY                  AMERICA