Re: Transaction, Oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:25:13 -0000

"Oliver Otto" <ootto_at_genese.de> wrote in message news:3DFDD673.20424043_at_genese.de...
> Hallo ,
>
> is it really not possible to use transactions with table commands ..? We
> use Oracle 9i and would like to use a rollback in the case if an "alter
> table yxz add column vwq" result in an error.

The answer to the question I think you are asking is No. I.E. You can't do something like

begin
<some dml>;
<some ddl>;
end;

In fact technically the answer is yes since any DDL statement is a self contained transaction eg create table tab(col1 number); becomes commit;create table tab(col1 number);commit;

I would question what on earth you were doing redefining tables in a transaction anyway, if they are temporary tables to store intermediate results you almost certainly don't need them.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA