Re: tnsping source code wanted

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:06:02 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> The code is closed source and reverse engineering is prohibited
> I would advise you would waste your time with something else.
> tnsping basically only tests the existence of a listener, it doesn't
> check connection speed.

Agree. (except the bit about wasting time - reverse engineering software is a fun way to waste time).

But then Daniel, this does not prevent you from doing a standard port scan and see if the listener is up.

As for what TNSPING sends - it is a (CONNECT_DATA=(COMMAND=ping)) I believe (check the tnsping executable).

Unsure on the handshaking though as when I do a telnet into the listener's port and throw the above CONNECT_DATA string at it, the listener log reports a TNS-12502: TNS:listener received no CONNECT_DATA from client.

A sniff should show.

Even so - the port scan works fine to check if the listener is up. The only way to check if the database is there and available, is to open a standard Oracle client connection to it.

--
Billy