Re: SYSDBA & SYSOPER and os authentication through OEM

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:14:20 +0100

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:28:56 +1100, dev_at_null wrote:

>8.1.7 on Red Hat 7.3
>
>I'm a little confused how to use the sysdba & sysoper with os (linux)
>authentication.
>
>According to the documentation, in order to do this I "must be a member of the
>OSDBA or OSOPER operating system group. On most Unix systems, this is the dba
>group."
>
>Sure enough, the dba group exists so I have created a user: useradd dba1 -g dba
>and also created dba1 as an Oracle user. I have remote_login_passwordfile=none
>and os_authent_prefix="" in my parameter file.
>
>I can connect as dba1: sqlplus / and connect / as sysdba
>
>However, in OEM Console, when I try to connect as dba1, it's os password and
>Connect as: SYSDBA, I get ORA-01031: Insufficient privileges.
>
>Any ideas?

1 remote_login_passwordfile = none will allow only 'internal' to use SYSDBA
2 a connection through OEM is a remote connection and doesn't use *local* OS authentication, as you have to specify a service name. Only when you don't specify a service name (which is not possible in OEM, IIRC) and you have ORACLE_SID set Oracle will use *local* os authentication as opposed to generic os authentication 3 most likely you simply don't have a dba1 externally identified *oracle* user

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Nov 19 2002 - 02:14:20 CST