Re: finding # of days between two dates?

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:59:54 GMT

Karsten Farrell wrote:
> Martin Doherty wrote:
>

>> "Allah does not subtract from a man's allotted span, those hours spent
>> fishing." (Wouldn't it be great if the same were to apply to R'ing
>> TFM?) :-)

[back up a couple messages to read Martin's great post]

>> Bless you all,
>> Martin
>> --------
>> (Level 5, open to all levels of questions)

> Amen brother! Spoken like a true master!
>
> I agree. Sometimes I kinda know the answer ... but in my attempt to at
> least verify that I know what I think I know, I look it up (well, maybe
> not always) before answering a question. That helps me as well. I only
> wish there was a way to enforce your thoughts in this (and other) NGs.

Enforcement in a newsgroup comes about in one of two ways.

  1. A group becomes so obnoxiously noisy that those desiring real communication create a moderated group.
  2. the members of the group go through occasional waves of discussions about what is off-topic in the group. Often these discussions are summarized in a FAQ.

One other aspect common to all news groups is the general suggestion that a person read the group for a time to get a feel for the culture of that group. In Technical groups that includes possbly browsing past topics to see if a question you are about to ask: 1. fits the topic and 2. has not been asked dozens of times before.

I don't want someone to police this group. I was just trying to educate others on the culture of this group. Using Martin's analogy:

  those level 1 initiates enter the temple and, ignoring the open tomes before them, they begin asking their questions out loud.

Before long even the kindest, gentlest high priest begins to go deaf. :) Received on Tue Nov 12 2002 - 11:59:54 CST