Re: Ref Cursor > out ; What? < in?

From: Jeff Smith <jsmit234_at_ford.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:30:48 -0500

This again depends on your environment.

With cursors you can use the FOR UPDATE clause, but that locks the rows and

depending on your environment, may not be desirable. I use this when
procedures that select the rows are also updating... like a batch process.
This also works in certain client-server situations.

For 3-tier, you have some options. If you are sending ref cursors back to your middle tier, you must certainly be closing them after building your result sets, or else you are going to eat up your cursor limit (in a web environment), thus "detaching" you from the database. In this case, you have no choice but to simply insert/update from the app (middle tier) as others have responded.

When updating in