Re: viewing all data in all tables

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:59:00 GMT

John wrote:
> I have an account setup on an Oracle box and I was wondering the best
> way to do something. I need to drop the user cascading, and recreate
> all the tables. There are about 30 tables, with half of them having
> some data. The amount is minor. I do not want to completely lose the
> data so was looking for the best way to do it and exactly how to
> implement. I'm right now looking at either a way to list all table
> names, and the content of them recursively, like a select * from all
> tables or something. Or if there is a way to do an exp of that user
> (I know how to do that part), and then after recreating the tables,
> just import the data and do not effect the table layout. Any help on
> exactly how to go about this would be much appreciated. I'd
> definitely be interested in the first method just so I can have a
> "paper" copy of the data in case I have to key any data back in
> because of changing field types.
>
> Thanks.
>
> JR

I assume you plan to change the order of some columns or to change the datatype of some columns. In that case, exp/imp may not work (unless all you're doing is making columns larger - eg, VARCHAR2(30) to VARCHAR2(60) or some such). Your best bet might be to output the data into a comma-delimited file and reload it with SQL*Loader (which allows you to specify some changes). Received on Fri Oct 18 2002 - 14:59:00 CDT