Re: How to turn on/off Oracle 8i for Windows 2000 Pro?

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:01:20 GMT

Keith Lee wrote:
> Karsten:
> Thank you for the advice. That did the trick!
> BTW, do you know how to solve this problem?
> I just installed Windows 2000 Pro with Service Pack 3 on my PC; and, so far so good except for one thing. I
> notice that some apps don't open as fast they did under Windows 98SE. The best examples are IE 5.5 and any folder
> window. Forte' Free Agent doesn't close as fast as it used to as well. Any suggestions on how to speed things up?
> Here is my system:
> AMD 1.1 GHZ
> 512 SDRAM 133 MHZ
> Gigabyte motherboard
> 60 GB Maxtor ATA 133 hard drive
> NTFS configured file system (would FAT32 be faster?)
> Indexing installed
>

> Keith Lee

Well, I'm not a Windows geek, but I've noticed the same thing ... but it's the difference between my system at work (Win2k Pro) and at home (still the old WinME). At home, Explorer (both Windows and IE) pop up pretty quickly; at work, they're dogs. At first I thought it might be that I needed to defrag my hard disk ... but have you ever tried that with the default MS defrag utility? I'd look like one of those Halloween ghouls by the time it finished. I did let it run over the weekend once ... but saw no noticeable speed improvement. So I chalked it up to a slow network ... or a slow Dell ... or both. But now that you have the trouble too on different hardware, perhaps it's just a Win2k quirk. Received on Mon Oct 14 2002 - 18:01:20 CDT