Re: newbie: looking for guidance

From: YLK <ylk_at_no_thanks.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 22:30:26 GMT

I could use some good advice.

I am interested in learning SQL (using the hands-on self-study approach). However, when I visited the Oracle software downloads page (http://otn.oracle.com/software/content.html), I found myself not knowing exactly what to download that was "free". I am running Win98SE on an Athlon XP 1600+ system with 512 MB RAM. Please advise.

Thank you for your attention.

From: Kevin McDaniel (kmcdaniel96_at_home.com) Subject: Re: Newbie: Looking for guidance Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.misc
Date: 2001-05-14 17:05:28 PST

Sean,

All I can offer are the lessons from my own experiences. The Oracle DBA 101 was the very first Oracle book I purchased. I bought that book to help me make the decision to become a DBA. And my initial reactions, and even my continued reactions, are similar to those you've experienced. The amount of required information to be consumed is nearly stroke-provoking. This is why there are so few DBAs, and so many companies needing them. This is by no means a simple "I'd think maybe this time around I'll be a DBA" kind of career change. The investment is substantial and road is very hard. As far as employment, I lucked out in mine. My company decided to implement a new system that used Oracle as a back-end. They needed a DBA and was willing to grow one. So now I'm attending classes offered by Oracle Univ. and working with the implementation team at the same time.

As far as what to focus on... SQL! It's the foundation of Oracle. Without it, you'll go nowhere. PL/SQL is Oracle's programming extension to SQL. SQL, by itself, does not have much logic built into it. In order to do things like LOOPS, you'll need PL/SQL. You can download a free copy of Oracle from their website. Install it, making sure you create the demo database. A warning, it is beefy! So make sure you have the CPU and memory for it. Use this database to practice your SQL. I, personally, suggest classes. Others may suggest self-study. Choice is yours.

Good luck.