Re: Extents, Index, Optimization Q's

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:28:00 GMT

Len wrote:

> I have a VB application that opens and accesses an Oracle DB.
> The routine iterates through records at glacial speeds.
>
> I indexed the 22 tables that are opened read and closed, that helped
> marginally.
> All tables have unique indexes, some one mentioned Primary indexing is
> more efficient, is that true?
>
> After only experiencing marginal improvements I tried reducing the
> extents on the tables, marginal improvement but nothing colossal.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations to improve the speed of my
> application by tweaking the way data is stored in the Oracle 8 DB?
>
> Thanking you in a advance,
> Len

My impression of what you are saying is that the problem has nothing to do with Oracle. And that definitely, even if it did, you are looking in the wrong places.

You need to check out and benchmark your SQL using EXPLAIN PLAN in Oracle to see if it is using the indexes you created.

But far more importantly ... before posting here again you need to provide information specific to this situation so we can help you.

  1. Platform (Oracle Server)
  2. Operating system and version
  3. Actual version and edition of Oracle (Oracle 8 DB is so ambiguous as to be meaningless - for example is it 8.03 or 8.1.7.4 and is it Enterprise Edition or Standard Edition)
  4. Sample SQL statement that is slow
  5. Comparison of time taken between running in SQL*Plus and from VB
  6. Copy of EXPLAIN PLAN
  7. How recently statistics were run with DBMS_STATS or ANALYZE.

At this point my bet is bad VB code.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Sep 25 2002 - 18:28:00 CDT