Re: startup errormessage on Linux

From: unknown <nobody_at_blackhole.nospam.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:18:45 +0200

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:41:54 +0200, TurkBear wrote:

> You also need ORACLE_HOME ( you use it in your PATH statement
> incorrectly - $ORACLE_HOME is the correct use) and, optionally,
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH .
>

> "Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi Dirk,
>>
>>You *must* set the ORACLE_SID, Oracle doesn't know which instance to
>>start.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Richard
>>"Dirk Linden" <dirk.linden_at_gmx.de> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a startup-problem.
>>>
>>> I use Oracle 8.1.7 (Release 3) on Linux. When I start svrmgrl, I
>>> connect as "internal" to start up the database. That works fine.
>>>
>>> Then "startup" leads to the error-message that "?/dbs/init@.ora"
>>> cannot be opend.
>>> So, I use the pfile parameter and tell oracle the path to the
>>> init-file: startup pfile=?/dbs/inittest.ora (the test-db is named
>>> "test")
>>>
>>> Now I get another error-message from oracle: ORA-07217: sltln:
>>> environment variable cannot be evaluated. ORA-07217: sltln:
>>> environment variable cannot be evaluated.
>>>
>>> (I get this message twice, so I suppose there are 2 unknown
>>> variables).
>>>
>>> But the installation manual tells me, only 2 variables are really
>>required:
>>> DISPLAY and PATH.
>>> I checked them, and they seem to work well. DISPLAY=10.0.0.198:0.0
>>> PATH= (includes ORACLE_HOME/bin, /usr/bin, /bin, and the local bin
>>> directory: /usr/local/bin)
>>> (In fact, I do not understand the local /bin-directory. Should this be
>>> a directory under the
>>> oracle-application-mountpoint? Or is this really a directory on the
>>> Linux-Mountpoint "/"?
>>> I dont know but I set it to /usr/local/home).
>>>
>>> Could it be that I must set something like ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_BASE,
>>> ORACLE_HOME or ORACLE_OWNER? Or could the PATH be wrong? (I think not)
>>>
>>> Could the rights for "internal" be inusufficient to startup? (I think
>>> not)
>>>
>>> Maybe I have forgotten a pre-installation task?
>>>

>>> Thanks for any help
>>>
>>> Dirk

> ==----------
>    http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers
> =-----

Something like this:

ORACLE_BASE=/opt/oracle/infra
ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/product/ias
ORACLE_SID=infra

TMPDIR=/tmp
tmpdir=/tmp
CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib/classes12.zip:$ORACLE_HOME/JRE:$ORACLE_HOME/jlib:$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/jlib:$ORACLE_HOME/network/jlib PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH ORACLE_BASE ORACLE_HOME ORACLE_SID tmpdir TMPDIR CLASSPATH

--
Cheers,

dmz17 --- If I had an Xbox it would run Linux ---