Re: Has anyone used the QuestSqlPlus Toad tool from Toadsoft?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 00:03:53 +0200

"jim" <jmmcda_at_mindspring.com> wrote in message news:kp6c9.58692$Xa.3161534_at_twister.southeast.rr.com...
> Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "jim" <jmmcda_at_mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > I know you think you had a point in there somewhere but damned if I
can
> > find
> > > it. If you can execute the script in Sql*Plus, then you can execute
the
> > > script in TOAD just as well. And are you saying that 99% of your
> > > development staff spends their time modifying those version controlled
> > > script files? How positively primitive.
> > >
> > The strange thing about you is you seem to think you can promote TOAD
> and/or
> > other Quest products by *flaming* users of Oracle software.
> > I wouldn't be surprised if Quest management isn't exactly happy with
your
> > newsgroup 'contributions', which consistently are made up of such rants
> and
> > flames.
>
> "consistently?" Again, what an odd statement. I've been building TOAD
for
> about 6 years now and it was only YOUR post which caused me to violate my
> own long-standing rule and post a message in defense of my own product. I
> typically use that up other TOAD users. You need to re-read this thread
> see who is stating fact and who is ranting. Ah-hum.
>
> > Also you don't seem to have a damn clue about the variety of customer
> > environments, eg having to work in a server room where no PC can be
found,
> > or if it can be found, it won't have TOAD and it won't have Internet
> access,
> > that being explicitly forbidden by company rules.
>
> I wouldn't be caught dead working is such a place.
>
> > There is a whole lot of situations where the demise of sql*plus simply
> would
> > made people incapable to do anything.
>
> They are in an unmeasurable minority. Alas, those poor foolks are stuck
> with their stone hammer and flint chisel.
>
> > word PRIMITIVE. Hopefully Quest has employees out there who know how to
> > properly promote their products.
>
> I'm not promoting anything. I addressing an unreasonable flame and rant
> posted by a Mr Sybrand Bakker.
>
> <bfg>

Just read your own words 'sir'

I actually believe it works the other way around. Those who refuse to embrace the guis will be those left in the dust of the careers of those who have learned how to master the gui tools. We will never be done with TOAD, yet as we implement more and more developer and DBA requested features that reduce mundane chores into single clicks, we force more and more Sql*Plus dependent dinosaurs into the tar pits.

Is that a rant and a flame.
In my eyes it definitely is.

The reality is that people embracing Toad and other tools, *DON"T KNOW SQL* and are completely STUCK when Toad is not available. In the Netherlands most companies will NEVER buy Toad, because it only duplicates functionality and they won't pay for what is already available. At it's best you get the FREE Toad and in that case you could better use SQL*PLUS Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA