Re: Can everyone explain to me about the meaning of gaining the OCP title?

From: Alan <alan_remove_this_shein_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:20:16 -0400

With today's economy, there is no such thing as an entry-level Oracle DBA position. Even when the economy is good, they are very rare. Generally, one needs to start out in some other position (maybe in Programming, in your case), and try to get involved on Oracle projects. The OCP certification, as it is now, will not get you a job over someone with experience, and there are many, many experienced DBAs out of work right now.

I was recently at a *small* local Oracle user group meeting, and 5 experienced DBAs put their resume out on the table. Two years ago, they each could have taken their pick of 5 jobs.

Not trying to be discouraging, but that's the way things are right now.

"AS Pieterse" <13508636_at_sun.ac.za> wrote in message news:ajrl37$30pq$1_at_news.adamastor.ac.za...
> Hi Sybrand,
>
> I'm just interested in why you would say something like that. Why are
these
> type of qualifications at all available if it is meaningless? Everyone at
> some stage has to enter the job market with no real life experience. Why
> would you say that someone who has the qualification WILL NOT GET THE JOB.
> It just doesn't make sense. How does anyone ever get jobs then? Are there
at
> all something like entry level jobs anymore?
>
> Or is it a case of that you worked very hard to get where you are and that
> you get irretated to see newbies try their hand at Oracle and expect to
get
> a job like that?
>
> I'd just like some insight on your comments because I've seen other people
> write the same thing.
> Andrew.
>
> P.S I am a B.Comm(Man Accountant and Comp Science) student who studies
> Oracle in my free time and intend on entering the job market looking for
an
> Oracle related job(even though I have skills such as programming in C++,
> Java, Oberon and Pascal). When I see comments like the ones you made it
> discourages me and makes me wonder why on earth did I ever choose to live
> like I have been living(never having any money or luxuries including a
car)
> for the past 3 years to get a degree if I WON'T GET THE JOB OR EVEN THE
> INTERVIEW?!
>

> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "Lamborghini" <neocyh_at_yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message
> > > I am an undergraduate student and I am going to study "managment
> > information
> > > system". Friends around me told me a lot about having exams like MCSE
or
> > OCP
> > > and they said that these things can help students like us to have a
good
> > job
> > > after graduation. But I doubt can these things help me because I think
> > that
> > > these exams are more likely to be taken by experienced DBA or system
> > > administrators, not us who have no experience before. And now I want
> > ask
> > > "Should I take the OCP or MCSE exam without working experience?"
Thanks