Re: connect to Oracle over the web

From: <Christopher.Jones_at_oracle.comX>
Date: 16 Aug 2002 11:42:55 +1000

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> writes:

> "TurkBear" <jgreco1_at_mn.rr.com> wrote in message
> >
> > All oracle products ( an overstatement, I'm sure, but pretty close to the
> truth) ) are backward compatible..We use 9i clients
> > to access 8.0.x, 8.1.x,and 9.1.x RDBMS instances with no problems ( the
> other way ( old to new) can be a problem, however)
> > ( Export/Import are exceptions to this, I believe - you use the export
> that matches the RDBMS version - although I admit
> > this part has always confused me)
> >

> Try using 9i Release 2 sqlplus from a windows client to connect to a 7.3.4
> database........

There is a nice table on OTN that shows OCI client/server compatibility:

    http://otn.oracle.com/tech/oci/htdocs/oci_faq.html#A691

This is the underlying support. OCI-client tools may have their own compatibility restrictions or limitations.

Whether OCI in 9.2.0.1 should actually core dump when attempting to connect to 7.3.4 is another matter. Customers with Metalink access can reference bug 2308496, fixed in 9.2.0.2 to give an error message.

Chris

--
Christopher Jones, Oracle Corporation, Australia.