Re: Newbie: datatype, sequence

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:23:02 +0100

"Stefan Lintner" <stefan.lintner_at_wu-wien.ac.at> wrote in message news:ajd798$ge3$1_at_bird.wu-wien.ac.at...
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Oracle9i SQL and have a problem in choosing the correct
> datatype; I create the following table:
>
> create table test (
> id integer primary key,
> name char(30),
> adress char(40)
> );
>
> Now I would like to have "id" as a sequence. Which datatype should I use
> when I create the table? Integer like in my example above?

Integer is fine, though I'd prefer good old fashioned number. I'd also prefer varchar2 for character fields.

A howto is available at Tom Kytes site sorry if it wraps.

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:1162008::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID, F4950_P8_CRITERIA:500421805606,%7Bcreate%7D%20and%20%7Bsequence%7D

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA