Re: Newbie: datatype, sequence

From: Steve M <steve.mcdaniels_at_vuinteractive.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:34:50 -0700

create your table (use NUMBER instead of integer)

create a sequence to generate numbers for you.

add a trigger to the table to populate your NUMBER field with a sequence before insert.

create table test (key number, some_data varchar2(50)) /
create sequence seq_test_key start with 1 increment by 1 /
create trigger tr_test_key
before insert on TEST
for each row
begin
  if :new.key is null then
    select seq_test_key.nextval into :new.key from dual; end if;
end;
/