Re: 1 Volume Raid 10 vs. n Volumes Raid 1

From: Randy Harris <randy.harris_at_nospam.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 01:22:06 GMT

My 2 cents worth -

The performance will be better with the Raid 1 configuration. The advantage is in getting your objects separated onto different physical disk drives. A characteristic of any raid that includes striping, (commonly 0, 3, 5 and 6) is this, it is very efficient for reading or writing large blocks of data because it aggregates the I/O of all of the drives, however it is very inefficient for reading or writing small blocks of data because of the increase in average seek time. Oracle works with small blocks over many files (datafiles for data, indexes, temp, roll back, and often audit logs and others, plus redo and archive logs. Raid 1 will be a bit slower than discrete drives but faster than 0+1 for an Oracle DB.