1 Volume Raid 10 vs. n Volumes Raid 1

From: Chris Neubauer <water.world_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:27:45 +0200

Hi,

how do I get more I/O performance with Oracle, with one large volume Raid 10 or better with several smaller Volumes (1 volume per disk) Raid 1?

We have 2x 7 drives with 18 GB each, the size of the Oracle tables and indexes varies between 10 and 4000 MB.

With the first possibility, one large volume Raid 10 I assume:

pro: read and write performance for one single data object should be best because of distribution over all disks
con: when reading/writing several tables, or tables and indexes at the same time (multi-user), performance might be bad when the same disk is involved several times

With the second possibility I can control where each object is located, especially separate tables and indexes or partitions.

Thanks for your help,
regards
Chris Received on Mon Aug 12 2002 - 09:27:45 CDT