Re: Oracle 7.0 database recovery

From: Holger Spangardt <Holger.Spangardt_at_web.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 22:03:06 +0200

Hi,

KS wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got 2 questions on Oracle database recovery questions, need your expert
> advice on that:
>
> 1.If the archive log for the Oracle database is missing, but all the
rest of
> the related data files are intact, can database recovery be possible?

I haven't tried, but this should be possible if the database was not in backup mode. Look at the documentation. I think there are parameters for ignoring the missing archive logs. Maybe "resetlogs" or "noreuse" works fine. It works with missing redo-Logs and archive-Logs are just not-reused-redologs. (approximately :-)

> 2.If the archive log for the Oracle database is missing, can we
rebuild the
> archive log based on the data files using special Oracle
tools/command and
> then attempt data recovery.

This will not be possible. The redologs are a kind of transaction history. The database only stores the result of this transactions and rollback segements just store the open transactions.

> Thanks in advance

Hope this helps,

        Holger Received on Sun Aug 11 2002 - 15:03:06 CDT