Weird listener/ip interface problem

From: Ralph Everyman <stryder22204_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:32:09 -0400

I'm unable to run a listener that can be seen from my internal box. I believe the problem may be a networking one. There are admittedly some gaps in my knowledge as far as networking is concerned.

Here's my configuration. I'm running Oracle 9.01 server on Suse Linux 8.0. This is a home network so there's just two machines. The Linux box is also an IP forwarding firewall for my one internal machine, a Windows 2000 machine, and has two interfaces. The setup is something like this...

I'm 99% sure that my listener.ora on the server and tnsnames.ora on the internal box are configured correctly. Actually, with dynamic servicing in Oracle 9.01, the syntax for a basic listener is pretty straightforward. I also understand that I'm not required to hard code services in my listener.ora for Oracle 9.01, that they are dynamically associated with the listener.

When I specify the external interface in the ADDRESS clause in listener.ora, this happens as expected and I can see it's happening using the "status" command in lsnrctl. Here's a sample session for a listener called "BACK". Notice that on initial startup it says that the listener supports no services but if I wait a few moments and do a "status," it indicates that the connection is indeed there.

--------------------begin sample lsnrctl session 1--------------------

LSNRCTL> start
Starting /opt/oracle/9.01/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 9.0.1.0.0 - Production System parameter file is /opt/oracle/9.01/network/admin/listener.ora Log messages written to /opt/oracle/9.01/network/log/listener.log Listening on:
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=dsl092-166-067.externalinterface.net)(PORT=1521)))

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(PORT=1521)) STATUS of the LISTENER

Alias                     LISTENER
Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 9.0.1.0.0 - Production
Start Date                10-AUG-2002 13:17:24
Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 0 sec
Trace Level               off
Security                  OFF
SNMP                      OFF
Listener Parameter File   /opt/oracle/9.01/network/admin/listener.ora
Listener Log File         /opt/oracle/9.01/network/log/listener.log
Listening Endpoints Summary...

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=dsl092-166-067.externalinterface.net)(PORT=1521)))
The listener supports no services
The command completed successfully

LSNRCTL> status
Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(PORT=1521)) STATUS of the LISTENER

Alias                     LISTENER
Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 9.0.1.0.0 - Production
Start Date                10-AUG-2002 13:17:24
Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 1 min. 0 sec
Trace Level               off
Security                  OFF
SNMP                      OFF
Listener Parameter File   /opt/oracle/9.01/network/admin/listener.ora
Listener Log File         /opt/oracle/9.01/network/log/listener.log
Listening Endpoints Summary...

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=dsl092-166-067.wdc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)(PORT=1521)))
Services Summary...
Service "BACK" has 1 instance(s).
  Instance "BACK", status READY, has 3 handler(s) for this service... Service "MODOSE" has 1 instance(s).
  Instance "BACK", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service... The command completed successfully
LSNRCTL>

----------------------end sample lsnrctl session 1--------------------

If I try and access the listener from the client, the attempt hangs then fails. I suppose that's because the request is going through the external interface (because of IP forwarding). I'm not sure.

Be that as it may, I now try and make the listener listen on the internal interface. When I start in lsnrctl, it gives me a similar message, saying there are no services. But when I try and query it with a "status" command I get the following...

--------------------begin sample lsnrctl session 2--------------------
LSNRCTL> status
Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(PORT=1521)) TNS-12541: TNS:no listener
 TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
  TNS-00511: No listener
   Linux Error: 111: Connection refused
LSNRCTL>
----------------------end sample lsnrctl session 2--------------------

I've read up on the whole tnsnames.ora/listener.ora thing and have become a lot more of an expert on it than I had intended to, but no matter what I do I can't seem to make it work. I'd appreciate any insight at all on this matter.

If you've read this far, thanks much for your time.

Ralph Received on Sat Aug 10 2002 - 12:32:09 CDT