Re: Win2K- How to start DB? thru Services or Sql*Plus?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 06:24:01 +1000

You should use the sqlplus method to perform 'routine' startups and shutdowns on the database.

There's no relation between SQL Plus and services because that's how the Oracle architecture is implemented on Windows. You can't actually issue a startup command in SQL Plus until and unless the service has already been started. And, as you say, shutting down in SQL Plus doesn't stop the service.

I'm not sure why, it's just the way things are. In effect, you need the service to provide the shared memory and thread/process components needed to make SQL Plus commands do their thing. Making a SQL Plus shutdown also stop the service would therefore render SQL Plus unuseable until you had clicked all round the houses and re-started the service. Given that there are many, many reasons for doing a quick Instance shutdown, that would be a royal pain. Oracle's solution is much more sensible.

The only time you need to stop the service, and when a boring old sqlplus shutdown isn't good enough, is when you need to delete or move database files. Otherwise, stick to sqlplus.

Regards