Re: rollback segment question

From: Richard Foote <Richard.Foote_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 22:26:57 +1000

Hi Stef,

The short answer is no.

The reason being that Oracle's way is better :)

By allowing all rollback segments to be shared and used in a round robin fashion, this means all things being equal, that the load among the rollback segments be evenly spread. This is a desirable outcome.

By "hard coding" which rollback segment belongs to which tablespace, or which table or which user, etc., you're increasing the likelihood of a particular RBS being overloaded while others are sitting back and relaxing.

An option you do have if you really want to use a particular RBS at the transaction level, is to use the SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT blah. This is typically done when the transaction is large and the blah RBS is a specially large sized one that can cope with the excess amount of data. This though is an exception and one that is quite commonly abused.

Cheers

Richard