Re: Time to become competent DBA

From: Vince Laurent <vlaurent_at_NOSPAM.networkusa.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:59:10 -0500

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:43:42 GMT, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>If you just want to be able to start it, stop it, back it up, and pray you
>never have to restore ... about one day.

If you had good training and get decent tools things are not that bad. In the 2 years I have been learning Oracle I have had to do a few restores (both PRD and development systems) but no show stoppers. We use Omniback for our backup with nicely integrates with Oracle/SAP and is a life saver for NOT having to learn all the gory details right up front of a restore. We also had a somewhat competent (I say somewhat for I am learning of all the short cuts they took) Oracle DBA help us with the install when we got the system. Now, as you can tell from all my questions here and on the SAP newsgroup, I am still learning more.

Bottom line, just depends on how fast you will feel comfortable calling the shots. I am still in the early stages but haven't been discouraged by the VAST amount of information out there on Oracle that I need to learn.

Vince Received on Thu Jul 18 2002 - 14:59:10 CDT