Re: Installation

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:26:25 GMT

Kevin Spencer wrote:

> Daniel
>
> I have followed the installation insructions and followed them to the best
> of my ability. I ran the orarun rpm and then checked the memory setting the
> package set up and they seem to agree with the Oracle documentation. I have
> also made sure the oracle user has been set up correctly as well.
>
> Unfortunately I am new to Linux and Oracle, but I have definately not
> presumed that I am dealing with any sort of Microsoft product! But when I
> run sqlplus I am duly asked for the username and password, as soon as I have
> entered the password and press return I receive the following error message:
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
> Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory
>
> Could it be an installation error, everthing seemed to install OK, I ran the
> root.sh script at the correct time and there were no install errors.
> The version of Linux I am using is SuSE 8.0 Pro. I have installed the latest
> version of bin-utils as advised by SuSE! Is there anything obvious I could
> have missed to produce this error?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kevin
> "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Kevin Spencer wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Guys
> > >
> > > Has anyone installed Oracle9i release 2 on a Suse linux machine and
> actually
> > > succeeded?
> > >
> > > I have installed the orarun rpm etc and it installed ok after I
> installed
> > > make etc, but I cannot start sqlplus from an xterm, it says I do not
> have
> > > the shared memory allocated?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Kevin
> >
> > Did you actually read the installation instructions on the CD and follow
> them or
> > just slide the CD in and assume that Oracle was a Microsoft product?
> >
> > Semaphores and shared memory allocation kernel settings are well covered
> in the
> > pre-installation instructions.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan

I'm still leaning toward not configuring shared memory and semaphores correctly but Tweetie's posting does make bring up a good point.

Go to $ORACLE_HOME/bin and run the following:

lsnrctl status

if the listener is started it will tell you how long. If not try:

lsnrctl start

Also check to see whether the database exists and is started ... I presume you chose TYPICAL from the installation and had it create the sample database. If so while still in the Oracle bin directory

svrmgrl

then type: 'connect internal' at the server manager command prompt SVRMGR>

then type: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tab$;

If the database is not started then type: startup

If you get any errors let us know what they are ... full error message ORA-##### and the full text.

To exit server manager type: exit

If the issue was that the database and listener were not started ... that too is covered in the documentation or can be found at http://tahiti.oracle.com.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 15 2002 - 10:26:25 CDT