Re: Select only if two character and two number

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:42:42 GMT

Sashafay wrote:

> I looking for the function (or some other trick) to identify new input
> in the table, that will be a combination of two character and two
> number only. But I don't know how to recognize if these input that
> what I looking for. In that field user can input any values (ex.
> ‘ABCD' or ‘1234') but I want only first and second characters and
> third and fourth numbers (ex. ‘AB12').
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alex

I suspect English not being your first language is interfering with your ability to state the problem. But based on my understanding of what you have posted there is not way of identifying records in the manner you suggest. I would suggest posting the table structure and a few rows of data (some new and some old) that will demonstrate what the difference is between old and new records.

Generally when I want to do something like this I add a column to the table something like this:

ALTER TABLE xyz
ADD (new_flag NUMBER(1) DEFAULT 1);

This will automatically insert a one '1' into the new_flag column with every insert.

Then have your process update the field to 0 as you process the rows.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 01 2002 - 10:42:42 CDT