Re: Career advice needed please......

From: ImPrecise <f_puhan_at_precise.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 07:21:02 -0400

In article <DTfT8.12142$MR1.90844289_at_news-text.cableinet.net>,  "Mike Hibbert" <mike.hibbert_at_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was hoping to get a bit of career advice from you all. I have been offered
> an internal transfer (I work for an online bank) moving from a Siebel
> development team to an Oracle DBA position.
> I used to be a DB2 DBA so i know the fundamentals of the role.
> I can't quite make up my mind if this is a good move, Siebel development is
> currently a hot potato (although becoming less so), but I'm not sure of
> Oracle's current/future marketability. My gut feel is to make the move
> (databases still excite me!), but as I said how big is oracle at the moment,
> how much of a threat is DB2 Universal?

I don't think the role of Oracle DBA is going the way of Novell CNE any time soon. Yes, UDB is a threat, as is MSSQLServer, but competition is what makes this industry keep moving forward.

From my own personal perspective, it strikes me that there is a larger world out there for people with Oracle on their resumes than there is for Siebel developers.

Of course, your personal likes, dislikes, and predispositions will have a lot to do with any career decisions of this sort. I sense you are quite keen on Siebel development. If it makes you happier to design and write applications than monitoring tablespace growth, performing backups and recovery, and general troubleshooting, then you should follow your heart.

Keep in mind that all of this is coming from someone who spent many years past developing in COBOL, dBase III+, Omnis and other "living languages" before finally settling on Oracle, PL/SQL and UNIX shell scripting. :-)

--
The underscore character does not belong in my address. You know the drill...
***