Re: JDeveloper rant...

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:33:52 +0100

"Watchman" <dmalone_at_attglobal.net> wrote in message news:o66R8.103910$831.83427_at_news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> As for the tech net - you need to have a paid support agreement, as in
spend
> thousands, to get support. So I come back to my rant. What good is a
> "free" product that you can't get support for? At least with something
like
> JBoss, you get the source code so you can solve your own problems.

To get access to technet you most emphatically do not have to spend a single penny. This gives you full documentation, sample code, discussion forums, white papers etc. Thats pretty damn good for a free resource. I'm also interested in the support that you needed that required someone with source code access. most dev problems I've come across are of the 'how do i do x?' or 'does the products support y?' kind.

Jdeveloper isn't however (none of oracle products are) free products. if you want to use them in a commercial environment then you pay. For that you get the full range of tech support that you seem to be looking for. 24/7 support with dev access and escalation levels etc doesn't come cheap and certainly not free. I for one don't see why it should.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA