Re: JDeveloper rant...

From: Watchman <dmalone_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 21:37:24 GMT

Yes, I'm registered. When I got stuck, I called Oracle support and was directed to the following link:

http://www.oracle.com/start/otnServiceNetwork/thankyou.html

I selected their new Oracle 9i JDeveloper link and was prompted to put my credit card in. I went through the process and was directed to someone who attempted to solve my problem. The trouble is, this is a 3rd party (i.e. NOT an Oracle employee) who attempted to help me. We got to a point where obviously, someone from the development group needed to be contacted and this person had no ability to take the problem the next step. Oops!

This brought me right back to square 1. The only help I have been able to obtain has been off news groups. It has taken me weeks to get to this point where it sort of, kind of works - but not quite.

As for the tech net - you need to have a paid support agreement, as in spend thousands, to get support. So I come back to my rant. What good is a "free" product that you can't get support for? At least with something like JBoss, you get the source code so you can solve your own problems.

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:uh9o027a7733fb_at_corp.supernews.com...

> "Watchman" <dmalone_at_attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > I'll say this for JDeveloper as an IDE. It looks like an incredibly
well
> > integrated and powerful product but it doesn't integrate very well with
> > other vendors' databases and support is non-existent. If Oracle wants
> > make a major impact with this product, they'll need to at least provide
> for
> > paid customer support with direct access to the JDeveloper product
support
> > group or provide public access to their searchable database for
JDeveloper